Spotlight Series: Brennan Rose

We here at OKSHOOTS are all about that Wave Slide Culture, where it doesn't matter what you ride or how you look, as long as you're having FUN. For this week's Spotlight Series we feature wave rider Brennan Rose who rides anything anywhere. To us he's one Rad guy and we say thanks for taking the time to participate in our Spotlight Series and enjoy guys!



Name? Brennan Rose

Where are you from? I’m from Long Beach, CA but live most of the year in Hawaii.

What got you into the sport? I’ve always been in the water since I was a grom. I surfed Junior Lifeguards and love anything that has to do with the ocean. Maui’s summers are a little slow with swell, so I started Stand-Up Paddling as a workout and for fun in between swells. Now I’ve been paddling for almost 7 years and couldn’t ask for a better lifestyle.
 

How long have you been wave riding? I have been riding waves since I can remember. My dad was a lifeguard and after I got kicked out of all the day camps, he had no choice, but to bring me to work with him. So I was always exposed to the ocean.

Amateur or Professional (Prone, Dropknee, Surfing, Surfmat, Bodysurf, etc.)? I’m a Waterman. I surf anything from a wooden alia surfboard to a huge 19ft cross channel SUP.


What's your go-to board size and shape in any condition? 
My California quiver that I ride daily is my 5’11”, 6’0”, 6’3” surfboards. My 7’4”, 7’7”, 8’0” SUP boards. My Prone and SUP race boards are shaped by Taylor Rambo @taylorrambo_ at Riviera Paddle Surf @rivierapaddlesurf. 
I’m always looking to be in the water when in Hawaii. I try to Bodyboard, Bodysurf, spear dive, or go underwater rock running for big wave training. In the winter all my Hawaii boards go up in size. For Jaws and other big wave spots, I’ve been riding 9’8”, 10’, and 10’6” and always fine tuning these boards with legend Joe Bark. 
My go to size for any condition would have to be my 6’3” shortboard and my 7’7” SUP.
 

Favorite Breaks (Can choose not to disclose or not reveal locations)?
Hawaii: Honolua Bay, Sunset Beach, Jaws, and some outer island Secret Spots.
California: Sano, Seal Beach river jetty, HB cliffs, and multiple spots in Mexico.

Any words of advice for up and coming wave riders? My advice to any up and coming wave riders is, Try another spot we don’t need any more people in the line-up, hahaha! Just kidding, I always tell people to have FUN, no matter what the conditions are, big or small. The beach and ocean are peaceful places, this is where us Watermen get our Chi or Zen on, so let’s keep it that way.
 
 
Shout outs/Sponsors? I want to shout out all my sponsors, friends, and family that support my dreams. NOVAtime Technology, Riviera Paddlesurf @rivierapaddlesurf, Tommy Bahama @tbahama, Future Fins @futurefins, @watermanssunscreen, and Maui Jims @officialmauijim