Spotlight Series: Matt Lackey

On this week's Spotlight Series we have a wave rider who has help revolutionize and put a resurgence of the Dropknee aspect of Bodyboarding. If you need to see his credentials, just look up any of the No Friends DVDs and watch him hold his own with the legendary Paul Roach. This week's Spotlight Series feature is wave rider Matt Lackey. We here at OkShoots just want to extend our thanks to Matt for taking the time to participate in our Spotlight Series. Enjoy!
 


Name? Matt Lackey

Where are you from? Coolangatta - Australia

What got you into the sport? I used to love seeing guys like Ben Severson pulling into crazy shorebreak slabs and that looked amazing and so much fun to me. That’s why I picked up a bodyboard.

How long have you been wave riding? I have been wave riding for around 22 years
 

Amateur or Professional (Prone, Dropknee, Surfing, Surfmat, Bodysurf, etc.)? I guess I’m a Professional Bodyboarder, but it’s something I would be doing even if I wasn’t getting paid.

What's your go-to board size/core/tail shape? The Nomad Lackey Premium, 43 inch Poly Pro core with the new PRS stringer system from Nomad bodyboards and full crescent tail with small pegs.

Favorite Breaks (Can choose not to disclose or reveal locations)? I love Duranbah here at home and Cloud Nine in the Philippines.

 
Any words of advice for up and coming wave riders? Just stay focused on your surfing and your style, and always have fun in the water!

Shout outs? Huge thanks to Nomad Bodyboard @nomadboards and also Mick at Bodyboarders Surf Co. @bodyboarderssurfco

Sponsors? Nomad Bodyboards @nomadboards, Limited Edition Hardwear @limitededitionfins, Attica Wetsuits @atticawetsuits and Bodyboarders Surf Co. @bodyboarderssurfco