Spotlight Series: Redders

From the start of the Spotlight Series, we've always wanted to help spotlight wave riders and the unsung heroes of the wave slide culture world such as the Photographers in and out of the water, and the some of the main guys who help us enjoy the ocean playground, the Shapers. These Shapers are some of the most creative individuals when it comes to seeing how each different shape affects how the board will ride. Every wave rider that has ever ridden a custom shaped board will tell you that working with a shaper to fine tune their wave craft was the best thing they ever did.

Which brings us to this week's Spotlight Series, in which we feature one of those unsung heroes of the Wave Slide Culture world, Shaper of Found Boards, Redders. If you've ever wondered what it takes to be a board shaper, you don't want to miss our Q and A segment with Redders. We just want to say many Thanks to Redders for taking the time out of his busy schedule to participate in our Spotlight Series, so please enjoy!




Name?
Luke “Redders” Redman


Where are you from?
Currently residing on the Gold Coast, Queensland Australia

Name of your brand or who you shape for (website/Instagram/Facebook)?
I shape for Mitch Rawlins and his brand Found Boards.

Search us out at foundboards.com, @foundboardsofficial on Instagram and Found Boards on Facebook.

How long have you been shaping?
I've been shaping full time as a career for 3 years now.


 
 
What got you into shaping?
Growing up and surfing I always knew I was never going to be a Pro Bodyboarder, but I did always want to be a shaper.  I loved the mechanics and the engineering side of a board; how it was put together, the different curves and shapes and how each of those differences hugely affected the performance of a board. I later developed a habit of cutting up, dismantling and altering a lot of my old boards. Round noses, full crescent and bat tails were a common practice all finished off with tin foil and a hot clothes iron. Also adding or replacing stringers in my mates’ boards, messing around with different materials like wooden dowel, aluminum rods and later using fishing rod blanks which worked epic.

Who taught you to shape?
I would love to tell you I had a mentor, a wise old man who passed on all his worldly knowledge but I don't. YouTube was where I got a lot of info from, although majority of the clips are pretty vague. Mitch showed me everything he'd picked up along the way and the rest was left up to me. Trial and error has been my greatest teacher. Also, I came from a tradesman background, I’m a qualified welder and I think that the slow steady hand movements from welding have crossed over so easily into crafting a bodyboard. Plus I later developed a friendship with legendary shaper PMA in the States who thankfully was very open to any of my pestering questions when I was truly stuck with a problem or a technique issue and for that I am truly grateful to him. It was one of the gnarliest learning curves I've been through but have loved every minute of it. 

What types of boards do you shape?
I shape all the team riders boards as well as the Shape & Destroy custom boards available in store and online through Found. People get pretty funky with their customs these days like crazy DK weapons, weighted boards, prone rockets, flow rider boards and even some timber bodyboards. I'll have a crack at making anything.



 
Favorite Color Combo for a board?
One of my favorite boards I've made so far was a board for Mitch that he took to the Canary Islands for the filming of the Killer Days DVD, it was a mustard deck all black board that I thought looked amazing and is still one of my favorite combos. I also love shaping up the old Stewart Turbo color combo, blue deck yellow pin red rails and tail with white slick and a red nose piece. It’s such an iconic colorway and always looks so rad.

Any words of advice for those individuals getting into shaping boards?
If you get the chance, stick at it. It's amazing getting to see a board you've created getting put through some incredible situations, holding up to that punishment and bringing stoke to the rider regardless of if it's a Pro or Johnny No One from down the street. Be patient, foam is so unforgiving. Listen to the people who know and practice, practice, and keep practicing.


 
 
Shout outs?
First and foremost to Mitch Rawlins and Shannon Wuoti at Found Boards, without either of them I wouldn't be lucky enough to be doing this as a career. My wife and family. My closest friends, the ones that are genuinely stoked for me to get to where I am and who never seem to ask for a discount or freebie (you know who you are). To PMA for his incredible knowledge and guidance when I’ve needed it. Everyone who has supported Found Boards and purchased a custom board in the past and to OKSHOOTS, I was truly honored you've asked me to be involved and thanks so much for the support Cheers