Spotlight Series: Evan Fa

Hey guys, we have got something special for you! This week's Spotlight Series feature is wave rider Evan Fa! We are stoked to have the opportunity to present this interview to our followers and supporters. Evan is one of the raddest dudes ever to wave ride. He has recently been spotted back in the water after a nasty back injury sidelined him for a good minute. So enjoy the Q and A we had with Evan and learn how he is bouncing back from the injury and the many different media projects he is involved. Thanks again Evan!


Rider: Evan Fa || Photo: Robbie Crawford






Name: Evan Fa


What got you into bodyboarding?
My older brother is the reason I got into bodyboarding. I used to watch him and his friends, and I just wanted to be a part of the pack. So that sparked my interest. Then watching all those H30 episodes on the tele, especially the Launch series by Tom Boyle, really fueled the fire. One thing led to another and it’s become an integral part of my lifestyle.


How long have you been bodyboarding?
Since I was little, but I started taking it a lot more seriously around thirteen or fourteen.


Rider: Evan Fa || Photo: Mickey McCarthy


Amateur or Professional?
Considering that there are only a few guys making a living riding a bodyboard in America, I feel like the term “professional” has lost the weight of its meaning in the sport. And I don’t necessarily think having a sponsor entitles someone to that label either, because I have friends that don’t have sponsors, or are barely sponsored, that surf better than those that do. So I’ll leave that label of amateur or professional up to people that know me or see me surf. Either way, I love riding a bodyboard as much today, if not more, as I did when I was when I teenager, so that’s all that matters.


What's your go-to board size and shape in any condition?
Somewhere in between the 41.5” and the 42” range works for me. I even come to like playing around on smaller boards around 41”, especially when it’s bigger or simply more hallow. Smaller boards equals more control, for the most part. Since I’m 6’2” and average around 185 pounds, that’s considered pretty small by most people’s standards. But when the waves are good for bodyboarding, it doesn’t really matter if the board is small. All in all, my boards are the same shape and curve as I’ve pretty much always used, custom shaped by long time friend Pete “PMA” Anaya through my sponsor Custom X Bodyboards.


Favorite board color combo?
I don’t know if color is only a psychological thing, but I’ve learned to stick to red or yellow board decks.


Favorite breaks?
My absolute favorite wave is this one wave on Maui. I love Pipeline as well, but so does every other person on earth. I’ve surfed quite a few places in different countries, islands, states, and counties through the years, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m more interested in surfing waves conducive for bodyboarding, whether that’s beach break or reef, without crowds. And, if there is a little bit of a crowd, then with people that don’t bring their ego into the line-up with them. That being said, I’m pretty much down to surf anything.


Any words of advice for up and coming bodyboarders?
If you love it, go for it. Don’t hold anything back. But remember to work hard to pay your dues, respect those that came before you, and to be a positive contribution. That being said, keep in mind there are more ways to get involved in bodyboarding than just riding waves yourself. If you’re interested in photography, filming and editing, and journalism, and you’re passionate about bodyboarding, then it’s a great place to start. People may not realize this, but a lot of people have gone on to have successful careers in multi-media through their initial interests in bodyboarding.


You’ve been involved in the media aspects of bodyboarding, right?
Long story short, I’ve always been interested in journalism. I started getting involved with the bodyboarding mags well over a decade ago, ended up running one as editor for four years, and now I’m involved with an east coast based surfing lifestyle magazine known as SIX Magazine.


Living on the east coast right now, what’s your thoughts on the coast?
I love this place. My wife is from here in the Outer Banks, which are the barrier islands off the coast of North Carolina. This place has that island vibe with a southern twist. People are friendly, the coastline is beautiful, and the surf is really conducive for bodyboarding. I’d say more conducive for bodyboarding than California overall. Plus, there are just way less people in the water here than there are in California and Hawaii. So it’s safe for me to say that I think that this place (and I can’t speak for the whole east coast because this is what I
have experienced) is completely misunderstood and highly underestimated. Although, that’s not a bad thing for those that know better.


Didn’t you break your back somewhat recently as well?
Yeah, I broke my back (compressing my L1) at The Wedge the first week of March.


How’s the recovery been?
It’s been slow and definitely not easy. So much factors in when you go through injuries like this. For instance, it’s not just the break itself that gets you ... the effects of the break actually get you the most. To share one example, after being in a chest brace for three months your core turns to mush. So you have to to build up your core strength from what seems like scratch. That doesn’t happen over night. It takes time, hard work and strain, and a lot of patience. All in all, though, it’s been a wonderful experience. It’s been a blessing to go through this with my wife, family and friends, and I’m blessed to have all of them in my life. I’m also lucky it wasn’t worse.


Do you regret going out that day?
No, not at all. I mean ... it wasn’t good Wedge at all. It was dangerous, treacherous close-out, sand sucks pretty bad Wedge. If I’m presented with the same situation again at a place like Wedge, I’ll take a pass and go somewhere that the waves are better. But I don’t regret doing what I love and paying the Piper while doing it. People hurt themselves like this slipping in the gutter, so I’m glad I did it bodyboarding. The fact that it wasn’t some cupcake wave gives me a bit of comfort as well.


Shout outs/sponsors?
God, my beautiful wife and family, and friends. I also want to share my appreciation for Custom X Bodyboards and PMA, my longtime friend and shaper, and my friends at Duck Village Outfitters (DVO).