Spotlight Series: Diego Muniz

We here at OkShoots just want to say to everyone that is following us on Facebook, Instagram, or just following along and reading this blog, Thank You and Thanks for continuing to support us and our vision of Wave Slide Culture.

For this week's Spotlight Series, we are featuring photographer, Diego Muniz. One of the best things that comes from these Photographer Spotlight Series is that we get to understand why they use the equipment they use and why they shoots the types of photos that they do. Please enjoy our Q and A segment with Diego and his vision of Wave Slide Culture.



Name?
Diego Muñiz @pelicano1









Where are you from?
I’m from a small town called Maunabo located on the southeast corner of the beautiful island of Puerto Rico. I’m currently living in the San Juan city. PR is 100x35 miles so I'm all over the island searching for them waves! 

What got you into becoming a photographer?
What really got me in to photography was the lack of pictures my friends and myself hade of surfing/Bodyboarding after 18 years of hardcore Bodybording. When I got my first camera all I wanted to do is get in the water and start taking pictures of Waves and wave riding.

How long have you been shooting/doing wave/wave riding photography?
I started Body surfing back in 1990 then eventually got into Bodyboard and just took off from there. My love for photography started in 2008 with a Sony Cyber Shot and a Sony water housing 

What is your ideal set up when shooting?
My ideal set up would be with my Canon 7D with a water housing but not there yet, haven’t been able to afford a water housing yet so all my water shots have been with GoPro’s all the way from the Hero 2 to the new Hero 4.

What cameras are at your disposal?
I currently use Canon 7D’s with a 70-200mm and 17-40mm out of the water and inside the water I’m using a Gopro 4 Black Edition mounted on a STB Mount made locally.

Favorite breaks to shoot?(Can choose not to share the exact name of the break, but please just be general i.e. Baja, Mexico, South SanDiego) I love to shoot the shore breaks. One of my favorites shore breaks is called California witch is in my hometown in Maunabo. Other great spots are Mingos Wedge on the North Coast of the Island and my favorite right side wave of all PR is Gas Chambers on the west coast of PR.
Shoutouts? Shout outs go out to all the water and wave lovers in PR and all around the world because we all share the same love for the Oceans. It’s a One Love thing! Special Thanks to Kary Mar, Edward Rodriguez and Benny Morales for the cool pics they shared with me.

Sponsors? Always grateful for the support of STB Mount, WaveRebels Surf Shop, Tocones Crew, Pelicano Bodyboarding, Prototype, Uluwatu Surf & Skate, Undergss, TheUKS, Atlantic Surf & Bodyboarding School and everybody that appreciates and supports my photography.


Any words of advice when getting in wave/wave riding photography? My advice to anyone wanting to start water photography is always do some research on the beaches you intend to photograph. You should always prepare for any hazards (currents, sharks, reef, rocks etc.) you might encounter and try to prepare accordingly before you go. Its always good to push your self but you have to know your limits inside the water so if in doubt, don’t go out and just shoot from the shore.