Spotlight Series: Joel Benavente

How's it guys! This week's Spotlight Series Feature is a wave rider hailing all the way from Guam, Joel Benavente. We've been honored to have a variety of people from all different places in the world participate in our Spotlight Series and Joel is one wave rider that continues to help push the stoke in the Wave Slide Culture. We are also honored to help spotlight the Guam surf community. So please enjoy the Spotlight Series on wave rider Joel Benavente.





Name? Joel Benavente aka "Swell" @joelswell

 

Where are you from? Guam, land of extremely shallow reefs. A word to the wise though, we are heavily localized. Guam has been occupied by outsiders for over 400 years, so this is the one thing as locals that is still ours and is defended heavily, so unless with a local, please be cautious. Respect the locals.

 

What got me into the sport? As a Senior in high school I would sometimes follow my friends to go surfing, but it wasn't until I started surfing with my friend, Kooks, that things really took off. By that time most of my friends had been surfing for years prior to me starting so in a short amount of time I had to play catch up quick. So that meant charging waves was a must for me.

 

How long have you been wave riding? I started when I was about 19, so all together I'd say about 16 years.

 

Amateur or Professional (prone, dropknee, surfing, bodysurfing etc.)? Neither. I've never placed in any contest really, so I have no highlights aside from my most memorable rides. If I were to claim anything it would probably be as an Underground wave rider.

 

What's your go-to board size and shape in any condition? I've always been a big fan of Spencer Skipper, so his general template has been my go to specs in since I've started. A 42" polypro, 40/60 on the rails with channels.

 

Favorite breaks? Too sensitive to name, but as far as traveling goes I'd have to say Waimea, Ehukai, Sandy’s,  and Padang. I love a good shore break. That is one thing we lack here on Guam.

 

Any words of advice for up and coming wave riders? Try to always push yourself, but at the same time know your limits. It’s always surprising to know your true potential. Have fun and enjoy the company of people that are positive in your life. Positivity feeds positivity. Also respecting one another is very important part in a world we all share with each other, but most importantly caring and loving those also love and care for you. One love.
 
 
 
Shout outs/sponsors? Thank you always to God, my family and friends that are always there for me  and the local businesses here that have helped me out in one way or another. Fokai @thefokaieffect, Lotus Surf Shop @lotussurf, Opake @opake_guam.