Spotlight Series: Gilbert Wilama Weeks

This week's Spotlight Series feature is Gilbert Wilama Weeks aka @senoj_g on Instagram. This man can be found up and down the coast of Southern California charging waves with the best of them. He may not be a worldwide name yet, but we hope that this Spotlight Series can help change that. We here at OkShoots, would just like to say many thanks to Gilbert for taking the time to participate in our Spotlight Series Q&A. Enjoy!
 
Photo: @aarongoulding
 

Name?   

Gilbert Wilama Weeks
Instagram: @senoj_g






What got you in wave riding?   

My big Braddah took me out in the ocean when I was like 8 yrs old and I fell in love with it ever since


How long have you been wave riding?

Since I was a little grom at 10 years old so about 15 years

Amateur or Professional?   

No Amateur, but No Pro. Haha!

Photo: @tjdphotogram


What's your go-to board size and shape in any condition?   



I like to ride a size 42 - 42.5 Crescent Tail from Custom X, Morey, or BZ.

Favorite board color combo?
 
I like boards with either a Red slick and a white bottom or Yellow slick with a Black bottom, but really though I'm not too picky.


Favorite breaks?

Spots around the Big island.  La Jolla and several other spots in SoCal.


Wave riders you looked up to growing up?

Mike Stewart, Jeff Hubbard, Pat Caldwell just to name a few


Photo: @surfinggzus



Any word of advice for up and coming wave riders?

When the wave breaks here don't be there. Hahaha! Hold your breath and don't panic. Duck dive and paddle hard rip it up and shred. Always have fun and be safe!


Any shout-outs/sponsors?

Shout out to anyone that shows respect! Shout out to all the cool fellas I've met in the ocean that showed nothing but good vibes! All the hard working photographers out there! SoulSurfBrand, The Knekt Crew, GoPro. All the D-Draggers and water people with beautiful spirits! All my friends and family much Love and Aloha!