Spotlight Series: Kevin Jimenez

This week's Spotlight Series features a native Californian, who is as stylish as comes when wave riding. This week's feature also spends part of his time helping to defend our country in the US Navy. Please enjoy this week's Spotlight Series feature on wave rider Kevin Jimenez.


Name? Kevin Jimenez

Where are you from? San Diego, California

What got you into the sport? My older brother Marc and Mike Stewart. Also, the hungry pack at Seaside Reef and Marine Street. 





How long you've been wave riding? My whole life! 

Amateur or Professional (Prone, Dropknee, Surfing, Surfmat, Bodysurfer)? I am a Freesurfer (Prone Bodyboard)

What's your go to board core/size/tail or shape set-up? I'm 5'5"@135lbs. Right now I'm set up with a Science Rigby Loaded 39.5" packed with Polypro core, deck and slick mesh, single stringer and crescent tail with tail piece. Gyroll wrist, MS Delta Viper fins with Gyroll Connectors, and Gyroll wetsuits.


Favorite breaks: (Can choose not to disclose) I prefer anywhere that's wedgy and bowly, but preferably waves that suit bodyboarding! 

Shout outs? Science Bodyboards @sciencebodyboardsca, Gyroll @gyroll1, MS Viper, Mike Stewart Inc. @msi1



Any words of advice for up and coming wave riders? I myself have always been underground and just cruised and free surfed, but I've learned a lot during my time in the water. Basically, take your time to learn and experience the sport for what it is and do it for yourself. You can meet a lot of riders internationally and it's actually a rad scene because our community is so small. The Bodyboarding scene here in California is rough and we're definitely looked down upon so only the committed will still strive to surf and want to keep up with it. I just love surfing no matter what the conditions are big or small, I have fun in anything. It's sick because I can do whatever I want, when I want. I have always been trying to push myself and push my friends so we all progress. So pretty much, do it for you and always have fun no matter what the conditions are because it can be worse and we can not surf at all!