Spotlight Series: NIcola Lugo



Name? Nicola Lugo (Instagram: @nicolalugo)


Where are you from? I was born in New York City. I was a sick child and my Mom moved to us south Florida for a better quality of life which turn my conditions around and surrounded me with warm clean water.As a child, I was constantly getting sick. My Mom decided to move us to South Florida for a better quality of life, which helped turn my conditions around. It also surrounded me with warm cleaner water.


What got you into the sport? My Family has a fifth generation beach house in Long Branch New Jersey so my backyard was a slamming shore pound. I was on a boogie as soon as I could walk and I never let go of that boogie, no leash it’s just part of me now.


How long have you been wave riding? 35 years and still charging and not planning on stopping anytime soon.


Amateur or Professional (Prone, Dropknee, Surf, SUP, Surfmat, etc.)? Haha is there such thing as a Pro Bodyboarder. I think that it’s just a fairy tale that you can tell your kids to keep them stoked. I’m mostly a Dropknee rider, but ride prone when I feel like I can’t make the drop.



Favorite Breaks? El Hoyo!!!


Any Shout outs? Shout outs to my boys at Six Magazine; Evan Fa, Simon Dale, and Dylan Palmer.


Photo Credits: Knowlton